Every New Year’s Eve I consider new goals to set and accomplish, a bucket list for a year’s worth of achievable things. Some are measurable and some are not. I’ve never actually achieved all the goals I’ve set out to do in a year, but I get several done and call it good.
Some lists I’ve found online include a goal for each week of the year. Personally, 52 goals is overwhelming, so I came up with a list for freedivers that only requires you to tick one item off the list each month. You can put together your own list and add some from my list if you want. A list of 12 things is fairly doable and even if you only get to half, you can pat yourself on the back. After all, there’s always next year!
I hope you have fun with this list of 12 ideas for freedivers I compiled for all of you who call the ocean home. Happy New Year and Safe Diving!
- Join a freedive club and tap into the camaraderie and group knowledge.
- Save your bucks and take a freedive course such as Performance Freediving or Freediving Instructors.
- Plan a dive trip to that place you’ve had on your bucket list.
- Mentor an up-and-coming freediver/spearfisher.
- Plan to attend the Blue Wild Ocean Adventure Expo in February 2015.
- Guest post for a freedive blog you read/admire.
- Join an online community for divers.
- Buy a subscription to your favorite dive magazine.
- Plan a dinner party for your favorite people and serve fresh fish you shot.
- Save up for the new Freedivers Recovery Vest and buy one this year.
- Review your freedive safety plan with your dive partner and become a safer dive team.
- Donate to a dive charity such as DAN, DFAC, or – and I’ll plug my own org – DiveWise.
Thanks for all you do to make our sport better!